Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup thrills

Today Dean and I watched the US team win the game against Algeria.  It was just a thrilling end to an exciting, nervewracking game.  Landon's goal at a minute in of stoppage time (90 + 1 min) was just incredible.  The entire game was exciting - the disallowed goal because of a questionable offside call... then several shots on goal came oooooh, so close!!  Algeria played a very defensive game but provided some nerves as some of their shots on goal came too close for comfort.  At the final whistle, I cried some happy tears.

Not saying that I had anything to do with the victory, but this morning I picked out my clothes with Team USA in mind and decked myself out in red, white and blue.  I added my fun little soccer ball print socks and completed with some RWB beaded earrings.  Back when I reffed soccer, an AYSO friend of mine made me those earrings.  It brought back memories of those days and I wished I were in contact with the old 6/A AYSO gang again to watch the game or at least chat about it afterward. 

Today I made a really yummy "Poor Man's Gumbo" that used canned tuna - it was delicious and I was pretty pleased with it.  Dean had "pizza night" as he always does on Wednesdays, and Matt is still at his cousins' in Appleton.  I'm hoping that Dean will like it for lunch tomorrow.  He's not the biggest fan of tuna.

I know this is totally random, but I love the "Bing" commercials now called Los Links.  They are done in the telenovela style with high drama, in Spanish with English subtitles.  As an aside, and to complete the theme of the Copa Mundial (that's the World Cup, don'tcha know), normally when I watch soccer I end up watching it in Spanish.  I had found over the years that I didn't enjoy the American commentators' style of complaining about the refereeing.  I don't understand Spanish very well, so I tend to enjoy just watching the game without the commentators' "color" and opinions to muddy the game.  Since I'd done my (tiny and by comparison completely unworthy) time on the pitch, it made me sensitive to the ref's side of the story.  And it's not fun to be questioned on a little tiny scale.  I can't imagine how it is on the scale of the World Cup games.  That being said, the Mali referee that disallowed our 3rd goal against Slovenia really made some baffling decisions.  He should be the most thankful person in the soccer world, because now his blunder will not be considered to be responsible for keeping the US from going to the knockout round, as it most certainly would have if we had ended in a draw today.

Thankful for today - duh!  I know this is a such a worldly thing to be thankful for, but today I am thankful that the US won their game today.  It was a great and enjoyable game, and it was a blessing to be able to enjoy it live with my dear husband at my side.  Thank you, Lord, for the "beautiful game".  Whether we win or lose, soccer is a blessing from God. 

Cheers!